ENROLLMENT PERIOD 1: MAY 3 – MAY 26
ENROLLMENT PERIOD 2: AUGUST 2 – AUGUST 22
SMF Jazz Academy is Savannah’s only FREE after-school jazz program and we have hopes to be in person for 2021-2022. We are planning our program with the information provided by SCCPSS; at the moment, SCCPSS is planning for an in-person student majority attendance for 2021-2022.
If you have a student interested in joining SMF Jazz Academy, we ask interested families to fill out an Enrollment Form. After submitting an enrollment form, applicants will receive a confirmation email with the link to sign up for an in-person placement interview slot.
All applicants must submit an enrollment form and complete a placement interview to secure 21-22 student registration eligibility.
WHAT TO EXPECT AT A PLACEMENT INTERVIEW
They may ask questions like these:
- What instrument do you play/What instrument do you want to play?
- Drum set
- How long have you been playing?
- Any other musical experience (school bands, community bands, etc.)?
They may want a demonstration of prior musical experience:
- Prepare one piece that showcases your strengths, all styles welcome, jazz if possible.
- Prepare to play all scales that you know.
Depending on your musical level, you also might be asked to…
- Sight-read a short piece.
- Do some singing/playing with instructor.
- Improvise with instructor.
They will have musical activities for those with no prior musical experience:
- Let’s chat! We’d love to hear about you and hear where your musical interests lie.
- Even if you have no musical experience, we still might have you try out some instruments or do some playing and singing so that you can see what jazz music is all about!
We’re looking forward to meeting you and hearing you play for us!
If there are extenuating circumstances that prevent your student from participating in the placement interviews or another circumstance preventing program participation, please contact Jessica Messere at firstname.lastname@example.org.