SMF Jazz Academy Artist Instructor
SMF Jazz Academy Artist Instructor
Location: Savannah, Georgia
Position Type: Contracted Part-time Instructional Position
The Savannah Music Festival seeks contracted part-time Artist Instructors for SMF Jazz Academy, a new after-school music program operating Monday-Friday from 4:15pm to 6:15pm, held at the School of Humanities at Juliette Gordon Low Elementary located at 15 Blue Ridge Ave., Savannah, GA 31404. School of Humanities at Juliette Gordon Low Elementary is a part of the Savannah-Chatham County Public School System (SCCPSS). We offer flexible scheduling, with a 1-3 day commitment.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop students’ fundamental skills within lessons and/or sectional groups
- Teach music within program curriculum established by SMF Jazz Academy’s Manager and Interim Music Director
- Achieve curriculum goals within a positive and nurturing environment
- Collaborate with other faculty and staff when organizing performances
- Uphold and enforce SMF Jazz Academy rules and policies
- Liaise with parents/families of SMF Jazz Academy students
- Participate in recruitment activities
- Attend professional development workshops as required by SMF Jazz Academy Manager and/or Interim Music Director
- Learn, uphold, and represent SMF Jazz Academy’s vision and mission
Required Knowledge & Skills:
- Solid understanding of jazz pedagogy
- Excellent musicianship and artistry as a music educator/performer
- Strong command of musicianship skills such as music theory, ear training, rhythm, and sight-reading
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Self-motivated and willing to collaborate in a team-teaching environment
Preferred Knowledge & Skills:
- Experience teaching music to varying student abilities, ages, and backgrounds in private, group class, and large ensemble settings
- Jazz composition and/or arranging experience
Terms of Employment:
- Contract hourly pay of up to $60 per hour
- Flexible scheduling, 1 -3 day commitment.
- Criminal background check and national sex offender registry check required (conducted by SCCPSS)
- Position is funding dependent
How to Apply:
Application Deadline: October 18, 2019.
Complete the online application form (click here).
SMF Jazz Academy will only consider applications submitted through the online application form. Please do not mail or email resumes.
Should you need assistance with the online application process, please contact Jessica Messere at Jessica@savannahmusicfestival.org
About SMF Jazz Academy:
The vision of SMF Jazz Academy is to create positive and progressive social change in Savannah with the implementation of a jazz-forward approach to early instrumental training. Launching January 13, 2020, SMF Jazz Academy’s mission is to provide SCCPSS 5th graders equal access to high-quality jazz education through instruction, ensembles, and performances.
About Savannah Music Festival:
A non-profit performing arts organization, the Savannah Music Festival (SMF) is dedicated to presenting world-class celebrations of the musical arts by creating timeless and adventurous productions that stimulate arts education, foster economic growth and unite artists and audiences in Savannah. In addition to year-round music education and broadcast initiatives, SMF produces one of the most distinctive cross-genre music festivals in the world. The 31st festival season runs from March 26 through April 11, 2020. For more information visit www.savannahmusicfestival.org.