Reports to: Technical Director
Pre-festival work in late January (start date negotiable)
Load in period begins Saturday, March 23, 2019
SMF 2019 is March 28 – April 13, 2019
Load out period ends Wednesday, April 17, 2019
The Savannah Music Festival is seeking a Production Coordinator, a festival position that reports to the Technical Director and works closely with the Managing Director. The Production Coordinator will manage and maintain all duties of the physical plant (non-technical items such as tables, chairs, program books, and so on). This position also entails assisting the various crews (venue technical, backline, audio, lighting, and so on) throughout the festival period.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
In advance of the festival
- Review artist technical riders for any special non-technical needs; source and purchase such items in advance of the festival.
- Assist Technical Director in communication with artists during advance period
- Produce and maintain schedule for physical plant crew
- Work with Managing Director to determine needs and schedule of non-technical requirements at festival rehearsal venues
- With guidance from Managing Director, become familiar with festival piano moving schedule
- Work with Graphics & Design Manager to become familiar with program book delivery schedule
- Work with SMF Education and Development departments ahead of the festival to determine technical and non-technical needs for workshops and events
- Learn backline lists for each performance and work closely with backline and specialty instrument vendors to maintain smooth workflow
- With Technical Director, determine show assignments for stage crew
- Assist Technical Director in liaising with rental vendors
During the festival
- Assist with load in and load out of festival performance and rehearsal venues
- Direct physical plant needs during festival period for performance and rehearsal venues; manage physical plant crew
- Coordinate with venue show managers and technical staff to troubleshoot last-minute artist needs
- Coordinate with piano moving crew at festival performance and rehearsal venues
- Liaison to SMF Education and Development departments for technical and non-technical needs
- Work closely with backline and specialty instrument vendors to maintain smooth workflow
- Site coordination with rental vendors at festival venues
- Daily review of upcoming schedules for stage crew, physical plant crew, backline, and other deliveries
- Support other crews (venue technical, backline, audio, lighting)
- Assist Technical Director in supervision of Production Intern
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including knowledge of production terminology.
- Physical demand can be very high at times. Must be able to lift heavy objects, walk long distances and stand for long periods of time.
- Willingness, availability, energy and stamina to work long days and evenings for the entire festival period.
- Ability to work in very high stress environments, with many different types of personalities.
- Must have a general understanding of modern production techniques.
- Previous venue technical or festival experience a plus.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Google Suite; familiarity with Marcato Festival a plus.
- Ability to work any time of day; flexible schedule a must.
- Verifiable work experience.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and driving experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to Chris Evans, Technical Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls, please.