Location: Savannah, GA (in person)
Timeframe: August–December 2021
Approximately 10 hours per week for up to 10 weeks
As a leading cultural institution in Savannah, SMF recognizes its place in the arts administration pipeline and the importance of the mentor/mentee relationship. The goal of SMF’s internship program is to equip arts professionals with the skills they need to excel in future positions in the nonprofit arts. Past interns now serve in organizations such as Savannah College of Art & Design, The City of Edinburgh (Scotland) Council, newportFILM, Dynacraft BSC, Pearlfisher, Wooden Camera, and Leighton Moon, and are in graduate programs such as Kelley School of Business (MBA).
The Development Intern reports to the Executive Director, and assists with mailing, filing, and research, data entry, and segmentation of current, former, and prospective individual, corporate, and foundation donors and sponsors, as well as concert and special event support (event research, proposal review, RSVP tracking, set up, administration, and break down). This internship is active at all times of the year, with the most research and appeal activity in the summer months, while event support is needed in the fall and spring.
The internship is best for undergraduate and graduate students who wish to gain hands-on experience in the following areas: donor/prospect research, special event planning and management, corporate sponsorship, donor stewardship, collateral creation, CRM database management, fundraising best practices, nonprofit and arts administration. In most cases, interns will also fulfill internship requirements at their college or university.
Typical duties and responsibilities associated with this position include but are not limited to:
- Assist SMF’s Development team with donor stewardship events
- Using SMF’s constituent relationship management database DonorPerfect, access donor information and input relevant and requested information
- With oversight from the Development Coordinator, assist with donor communications and solicitations
- Work with Executive Director to research select corporations and foundations (non-SMF funders) to determine appropriateness for funding applications and identify appropriate corporate and foundation contact(s)
- Assist Executive Director to draft letters of interest to foundations and proof-read grant proposals
- Assist with appeal mailings, invitation mailings, and acknowledgment letter mailings
- Attend SMF meetings and strategy sessions as appropriate and requested
Applicants are asked to submit a cover letter and resume, as well as two professional letters of reference, to email@example.com. Please include “Development Internship” in the email subject line.
Interviews may take place in person, over the phone, or via video conference software. If hired, the applicant will provide a W-9 or W-8 for tax purposes, and be issued a contract. Together, the supervisor and intern will agree on assigned goals and projects during the internship period, which will be outlined in the contract addendum.
Savannah Music Festival is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.