“This is the finest jazz festival my ensembles have ever attended.”
John Mosley, Agoura Hills, CA
Swing Central Jazz is a three-day workshop and competition with a collective approach to big band jazz instruction. Led by pianist/composer/educator Marcus Roberts, the clinician team includes a wide range of jazz educators such as Jason Marsalis, Jim Ketch (Associate Director), Rodney Whitaker and Brianna Thomas.
Swing Central Jazz 2019 will take place from April 3 – 5 in Savannah, GA.
Congratulations to our 2018 Finalists!
- Agoura High School Jazz “A” (Agoura Hills, CA) – Bob Hackett, dir.
- Agoura High School Studio Jazz (Agoura Hills, CA) – Chad Bloom, dir. (2nd Place)
- Albemarle High School Jazz Ensemble (Charlottesville, VA) – Greg Thomas, dir.
- Battle Ground High Advanced Jazz Band (Battle Ground, WA) – Greg McKelvey, dir.
- Bloomington High School North Advanced Jazz Band (Bloomington, IN) – Janis Stockhouse, dir.
- Byron Center High School Jazz Orchestra (Byron Center, MI) – Marc Townley, dir.
- Jazz at Lincoln Center Youth Big Band (New York, NY) – Matt Buttermann, dir.
- Newport High School Jazz I (Bellevue, WA) – Cory Edwards, dir.
- Niceville High School Jazz Band (Niceville, FL) – Dan Wooten, dir.
- Northview High School Jazz Ensemble (Grand Rapids, MI) – Greg Wells, dir.
- Rio Americano AM Jazz Ensemble (Sacramento, CA) – Josh Murray, dir. (3rd Place)
- SFJAZZ High School All-Stars (San Francisco, CA) – Paul Contos, dir. (Faircloth Award Winner)
Alternates: Tarpon Springs High School Jazz Ensemble (Tarpon Springs, FL) – Chris de Léon, dir.; Las Vegas Academy for the Arts Jazz Band (Las Vegas, NV) – Patrick Bowen, dir.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Sponsored by Bob Faircloth, Georgia Public Broadcasting and Anne P. West.